Community Healing Centers offers employment opportunities for individuals who are interested in working in the field of addiction and recovery, mental health, or children’s services. If you’ve been searching for a rewarding career that will positively impact the community that we live in, we encourage you to submit your application today!
$17.00 – $18.50 an hour
Driver’s License (Required)
Work authorization (Required)
Full Job Description
Job Title: Prevention Associate/STREET/Niña’s Educator
Reports to: Prevention Coordinator
Classification: Full Time 40 – Hourly, non-exempt
Inclusivity is a core value of Community Healing Centers. We believe that the healing environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to help treat those we serve.
The Prevention Associate works closely with the Prevention Specialist. He/She/They will assist with Prevention related activities, community outreach, regional group facilitation, office and other duties as assigned. Also, he/she/they will perform community outreach, provide advocacy information, referrals and evidence based educational instruction for the STREET and Niña’s Program.
· Understanding and willingness to adhere to strict confidentiality rules and regulations for the protection of all clients served.
· Some of our work takes place outside of normal business hours, therefore you must have flexible working hours.
· Valid Driver’s License, insurance coverage, and a vehicle; clear of any incidents or suspensions within a 2-year period.
· Complete Metro Transportation training to become certified and provide transportation, as deemed necessary, on a limited basis.
· Complete mandatory trainings, in seat and online, as mandated by the terms of the Community Healing Center and those necessary for the After School Street Program.
· Keep record of content, specific trainings, CEU’s, one on one training and log training information in appropriate domains to provide documentation needed in compliance with domains necessary to apply for and complete the Certified Prevention Specialist exam.
· Strong communication skills both oral and written (bilingual preferred).
· Attend all meetings as required.
· Strong organization and record keeping skills.
· Good computer skills (experience in using Excel is preferred).
· Willingness to present to CHC Board, community organizations and stakeholders relevant to Prevention Services.
· Actively participate in and be a representative of CHC for committees and organizations throughout the Kalamazoo Region.
· Must track Evidence Based Program’s that are facilitated by Prevention Associate (2 plus sessions a week).
· The team consists of Certified Prevention Specialists and Community Liaison Support Specialists at the Street and Niña’s afterschool Programs, therefore working collaboratively with a team is imperative.
· Must be able to communicate all questions and concerns, in regard to prevention service work and/or the afterschool programs immediately and directly to supervisor.
· Must be a strong advocate and provide leadership in day-to-day operations of the afterschool Programs.
· Must be an advocate for and have knowledge of the Catalyst for Change Committees Mission and make goal-oriented recommendations for the STREET/Niñas Program.
· Must have some knowledge of and willingness to learn about substance use disorders and the effects on adolescents and families.
· Must be able to use evidence-based curriculum (specific to Prevention Services) to teach specific groups of high-risk populations and/or facilitate Family & Friends group for family members of those that are in recovery.
· Must foster and encourage equity for diverse populations, as well as individuals that suffer from substance use disorders and/or mental health issues.
· Must have knowledge/experience of barriers and struggles that affect urban youth populations and their families.
· Must be cognizant of cultural differences in terms of learning how cultural differences impact urban youth and families.
· Must be able to provide instruction to high-risk youth in multiple contextual settings.
· Must be able to coordinate prevention services within Street and Niña’s afterschool programs education component using Life Skills Evidence Based Curriculum.
· Assist in coordinating and attending events, functions, and fundraisers for the STREET/Niña’s program in correlation with Community Mental Health events and other community organization events.
· Must be able to build a positive rapport with youth, families and community.
· Multi-tasking, flexibility, and utilization of intrapersonal and interpersonal skills on the job are required.
· Maintain healthy personal and work boundaries.
· This position requires a great deal of humility, compassion, and professionalism in terms of understanding Prevention Services and a knowledge of trauma informed approaches and services to meet the unique cultural needs of cliental that are served.
The employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of conditions at client sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. This position requires infrequent exposure to outside weather conditions. Covid-19 and Flu vaccination is Required.
The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and core hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:30a.m. to 5p.m. Additionally, this position regularly requires long hours and frequent weekend work.
Must have a vehicle; travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out of area and overnight travel may be expected for training purposes.
Required Education and Experience
Experience with program development and implementation, coordination of services, knowledge of community resources and public relations skills. Some education experience in teaching or group facilitation.
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree preferred with experience in community outreach, public speaking and substance abuse education. Cultural competence and program development a plus. Required/Preferred Credentials
This role prefers an individual who is a Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS). If you are not currently credentialed as a Certified Prevention Specialist, with supervisory support and guidance, CHC will assist you apply for a Development Plan to work towards becoming a Certified Prevention Specialist within 2 years of date of hire.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrate knowledge and skills in developmental needs/process with youth and adults. Could establish and maintain an effective working relationship with individuals, families, and community representatives. Diversity skills are essential.
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, age, national origin, height, weight, marital status, veteran status or mental or physical disability in accordance with all applicable Federal, State and Local laws and ordinances.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Repost this job
View public job page
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.00 – $18.50 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Covid and Flu vaccinations, required.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Kalamazoo, MI: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- Driver’s License (Required)
Work Location: One location
Hiring 1 candidate for this role
Community Healing Centers is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Community Healing Centers is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Human Resources at email@example.com.